Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Beth - Day 2

I told you yesterday was going to be a doozy, so here it is;  I had a rhinoplasty done.  It's something I've wanted to do for 15+ years now.

I was about 12 years old, riding with my dad in the car, when I told him how unattractive I felt.  Then I burst into tears as I went on to explain how much I despise my nose.

I remember going over to friend's house about a year later and she had this little toy with tiny metal rods that took whatever shape you leaned it against.  She put it on her face and you could see every feature (eyes, mouth, etc).  I tried it on mine and all you could see was a nose.

Around the age of 14, I met with a booking agent and he told me that I had to have new promo pictures done because of how big my nose looked in my current photos.  So embarrassing! I cried the whole way home.

I took a yoga class and went out to dinner with the whole group one time.  One of the guys said he spoke Spanish, so I asked him to say something.  What he said translated into "Your nose is very...Jewish".   Followed by everyone's nervous laughter.  I was mortified.

I've never gotten comfortable with my nose, even after all these years of living with it.  I feel like it's a separate part of my body that doesn't belong.  As though I'm wearing a pair of those Groucho Marx glasses.  It's on my mind ALL the time - having photos taken, talking to people, performing, etc.

+++

So, I brought the idea of plastic surgery up to Carl.  He didn't think it was a good idea, but I explained to him just how much it would mean to me until he understood.  I finally had the nerve to tell my Mama, a few days ago, after avoiding her phone calls for a week.  Her reaction was beautiful and sweet - a huge relief to me.

I realize that a lot of people are completely against plastic surgery for various reasons.  Those people have obviously never had a big nose.  There, I said it.  :)

+++

I went in for consultations with two separate surgeons this month, to compare cost & technique.  I chose Doctor Frenchman because he had the best online reviews BY FAR.  Plus he & his office staff are very calm and comforting.  His wife has actually been his anesthesiologist for about 30 years.

Yesterday (1/24), Carl drove me to have the procedure done.  I was super nervous and almost didn't get out of the car.  But I did.  I got out and I walked inside, signed some paperwork, then they took my "before" photos and gave me a gown to change into.  When they started my IV, they gave me some sorta happy happy joy joy meds, so I wasn't nervous anymore.  I was hoping to be visited by a unicorn, but no such luck.

The next thing I remember is being home in bed.  I don't remember going into the operating room,  getting dressed, walking to the car, or anything else.  I slept for about 19 hours yesterday, only waking up to eat a little something with my pain pill.

I'll post another update either tonight or tomorrow.  For now, it's all ice packs, peroxide & pain pills for me!  xo.

7 comments:

  1. OMG you are a GENIUS -
    NOW let's see them identify you in that CONVENIENCE STORE hold-up! Good LUCK, Davidson County Sheriff!

    Man, I didn't see THAT comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elisabeth Juliana - Wow! I can only imagine how you've felt, although I've always found you to be one of the most beautiful people (inside & out) that I've had the pleasure of knowing. My first thought went to a song that I figured must have been on Carly's mind when you told him. http://tinyurl.com/5jbehj - Love you both, love your strength - if only everyone were as strong as you guys are together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, Maybe Day 3's activity can be just "follow aftercare instructions and watch Little Mermaid-Lion King double-feature?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you for following through with this! AND, I wish I could put the smack-down on everyone who has ever been insensitive to you. I don't have to though, because I get to share the morning sun with the most beautiful girl in the world, and that's payback enough for me. Nose-job or not, you make me melt like Wisconsin cheddar every time I see your pretty face, and you always have. 143!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl!! I agree with Carl, congrats on actually doing it! So many of us would love to do things but fear the unknown, the criticism, the change itself, and what others will say about us....
    I thought you were beautiful to begin with but as a girl I understand about having parts of "our" bodies that we would like to change. I can't wait to see the after photos! Happy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see. I've always thought you are beautiful but it's more important that you feel good about yourself. I'm so glad you were able to do this for you and you have good love and support! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be there putting beads in your dreads and lotion on your tats while Carl is busy putting the smack-down on them all.

    You have always been, and will always be my fairytale princess. :)

    Thanks for letting me handle the PR on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete